A single blue-purple Anemone coronaria flower in a textural triangular midcentury glass vase, against a dark backdrop and illuminated by a bright wedge of sunlight.
I have been exploring some still life photography setup ideas this summer, and there are quite a few things I wish I’d done better in this image. The vase could be placed a little further back in the light, allowing more room for the flower’s shadow. I could have better controlled the light at the edges of the scene, especially to remove the distracting curve in the rear sweep of backdrop paper and create a sharper corner in the pointed edge of light as it falls to the far left in the frame.
These flowers have now faded in my garden and any future attempts at a more refined version of this setup will have to wait until next year.
I am glad I tried something new, and overall very happy with what I have learned from the results. In that same vein, I am embarking on an exciting photographic experience this fall, and hoping to fail spectacularly at least a few times – practice makes progress.